China
China Travel Guide > Wuhan City Guide back
Useful Information | llow Crane Tower | East Lake | Guiyuan Temple | East Lake | First Bridge over the Yangtze River | Hubei Provincial Museum | Yellow Crane Tower |

Useful Information

Currency
Renminbi (RMB)
Electric Plug Details
Two parallel flat blades
Electricity
220Volt, 50Hz
IDD City Code
10
IDD Country Code
27
Language
Putonghau (Mandarin)
Mobile System
GSM
Time Zone
GMT/UTC +8()
Useful Telephone
Emergencies 120
Police Dial 110
Fire & Ambulance 119

llow Crane Tower

The Yellow Crane Tower is on the border of the Yangtze River. It stands at the top of Snake Hill. It's splendid. Naturally, it becomes a well-known tourist attraction. In ancient times, a lot of famous people including Cui Hao, Li Bai, Bai Juyi, Jia Dao, Lu You, Yang Shen and Zhang Juzheng successively travelled here, writing down many poems. The poem named "the Yellow Crane Tower" written by Cui Hao has been  considered to be a wonderful work all the time. Therefore, masses of people can recite it. This poem reminds them of the former grandeur of the Yellow Crane Tower. When the Yellow Crane Tower was topped off, its appearance was exciting. 

The old Yellow Crane Tower was 2 Chi (a unit of length (3 Chi=1 meter)) and 9 Zhang (a unit of length (1 Zhang=3.3 meters)) high with a 7-Chi-high copper top. It had three storeys.  The new Yellow Crane Tower is much grander than the former. There are 5 storeys in total. It's 51.4 meters high with a 5-meter-high gourd-shaped top. Its nearly 20 meters higher than the former. The ground floor of the old tower is 15 meters wide, while that of the new tower is 30 meters wide. Hence, the Yellow Crane Tower isn't repaired, but rather reconstructed. It keeps some characteristics of the old tower. However, it's designed according to the present needs and peoples change in aesthetic standard.

When the bridge approach of the Changjiang River Bridge of Wuchang was built in 1957, it occupied the site of the Yellow Grane Tower. Nowadays, the rebuilt Yellow Crane Tower is located at the top of Snake Hill, about 1 kilometer away from the site. There are five storeys in total. It's 50.4 meters high. It has a spire. The eaves of each storey are upturned. Around the main tower, there are many others buildings, such as, the Shengxiang Pagoda, the Stele Gallery, the temple gate, etc. The whole building has a unique national style. The styles of each storey in the Yellow Crane Tower are different. The ground floor is a tall and wide hall. The midmost Zaojing stands over 10 meters high. On the front wall is a huge ceramic mural painting of " White Cloud and Yellow Crane ". A pair of 7-meter-long inscribed tablets is hung on the posts on both sides. On the front wall of the second floor, "Note of the Yellow Crane Tower" written by Yan Bojin of the Tang dynasty is engraved with marbles. It records the rise and fall of the Yellow Crane Tower as well as some anecdotes about great men. At the two side of it are two mural paintings. One is "Sun Quan Built Town". It describes the history of the successive birth of the Yellow Crane Tower and Wuchang Town vividly. The other is "Zhou Yu Made a Feast". It reflects the activity that the famous persons of the Three Kingdoms come to the Yellow Crane Tower.


East Lake

The East Lake is vast and meandering. It's surrounded by green mountains. The whole park is divided into six scenic areas: the Tingtao Scenic Area, the Moshan Scenic Area, the Luoyan Scenic Area, the Baima Scenic Area, the Luohong Scenic Area and the Chuidi Scenic Area. Main scenic spots are the Yuyan Garden, musical fountain, the Xingyin Pavilion, the Changtian Tower, the Jiunv Frusta, the Huguang Pavilion, Tian Shui YI Se, Qu Ti Ling Bo and so on. People can take boats at any dock on the lakeside and get to the Moshan Zoo located at the other bank of the East Lake.

The East Lake possesses rich botanical resources. There is a large stretch of metasequoia forest. Many people come here to enjoy orchid in spring, water lily in summer, sweet osmanthus in autumn and plum blossom in winter.


Guiyuan Temple

As one of the four biggest Buddhist temples in Hubei Province, the Guiyuan Temple is very famous in wuhan. It was originally built by a monk named Bai Guang in 1658. It was named upon the Buddhist hymn: "Return to original purity without other resort, there would be many ways if it is at discretion."

The Guiyuan Temple covers an area of 46,900 square meters. There are more than 200 halls in the temple. Most of the buildings, Buddhist sutras, Buddhist Sculptures survived from the devastation of the Cultural Revolution. They are in a good state of preservation now. Among them, 500 gold arhat sculptures in the Arhat Hall is one of main features of the temple.

The Guiyuan Temple is very famous in the Buddhist world owning to perfect construction, spiffy sculpture and abundant collection. A large number of people including our compatriots in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan and those residing abroad, as well as many foreign tourists including some important persons in the politics of all countries such as Sihanouk, King of Cambodia, Kissinger, United States Secretary of State, Li Guangyao, former prime minister of Singapore, Yasuhiro Nakasone, Prime Minister of Japan and some other famous persons have successively been here to visit it. They presented gifts to the temple separately.

The vegetarian diet made in the Guiyuan Temple is very famous too. You should taste when you arrive there.


East Lake

The East Lake is vast and meandering. It's surrounded by green mountains. The whole park is divided into six scenic areas: the Tingtao Scenic Area, the Moshan Scenic Area, the Luoyan Scenic Area, the Baima Scenic Area, the Luohong Scenic Area and the Chuidi Scenic Area. Main scenic spots are the Yuyan Garden, musical fountain, the Xingyin Pavilion, the Changtian Tower, the Jiunv Frusta, the Huguang Pavilion, Tian Shui YI Se, Qu Ti Ling Bo and so on. People can take boats at any dock on the lakeside and get to the Moshan Zoo located at the other bank of the East Lake.

The East Lake possesses rich botanical resources. There is a large stretch of metasequoia forest. Many people come here to enjoy orchid in spring, water lily in summer, sweet osmanthus in autumn and plum blossom in winter.


First Bridge over the Yangtze River

Wuhan Changjiang River Bridge began to be built on September 9, 1955. It was opened to traffic October 13, 1957.The whole bridge is 1670 meters long. The main bridge is 1156 meters long. The bridge approach in the north end is 303 meters long. The bridge approach in the south end is 211 meters long. It's 80 meters high from the fundus to the surface of the highway bridge. The bridge has two storeys. The upper is the railway bridge. It's 14.5 meters wide. Two trains in the opposite direction can run across it at the same time. The upper is the highway bridge. It's 20.25 meters wide. Four cars can run across it side by side. The main bridge is a bridge with 3 continuous spans. Each span has 3 arches. There are 8 abutments and 9 arches in total. Every arch has a span of 128 meters. Large ships can sail across it all the year round. There is one bridge tower at each end of the bridge. They are in national architectural style. Each is 35 meters high. There are 7 storeys from the hall on the ground floor to the pavilion on the top floor. People can go up and come down by lift. The auxiliary buildings and all kinds of decorations are very compatible with the whole bridge. The whole bridge looks extremely magnificent. People can take the lift from the ground floor directly to arrive at the road surface of the highway bridge. When people stand on the bridge and Look into the distance, they will find that the three towns of Wuhan combine into one whole. It makes people full of imagination. "One bridge is built spanning the river, which makes the traffic convenient." Wuhan Changjiang River Bridge not only unites the three towns of Wuhan into one body, but also greatly promotes the development of industry and agriculture.

Hubei Provincial Museum

It was a fantastic place but it is still relatively unknown to foreign tourists. The museum display includes a 2000+ year old coffin, which is still in good condition. All the items in display were unearthed from one king's tomb dating back to Spring and Autumn Periods more than 2000 years ago. The ancient Chu music performance is the highlight. Chu, an ancient, strong kingdom ruling over today's Wuhan area was famous for its music. Many of China's classic pieces have been evolved from the ancient Chu music.

Yellow Crane Tower

The Yellow Crane Tower is on the border of the Yangtze River. It stands at the top of Snake Hill. It's splendid. Naturally, it becomes a well-known tourist attraction. In ancient times, a lot of famous people including Cui Hao, Li Bai, Bai Juyi, Jia Dao, Lu You, Yang Shen and Zhang Juzheng successively travelled here, writing down many poems. The poem named "the Yellow Crane Tower" written by Cui Hao has been  considered to be a wonderful work all the time. Therefore, masses of people can recite it. This poem reminds them of the former grandeur of the Yellow Crane Tower. When the Yellow Crane Tower was topped off, its appearance was exciting. 

The old Yellow Crane Tower was 2 Chi (a unit of length (3 Chi=1 meter)) and 9 Zhang (a unit of length (1 Zhang=3.3 meters)) high with a 7-Chi-high copper top. It had three storeys.  The new Yellow Crane Tower is much grander than the former. There are 5 storeys in total. It's 51.4 meters high with a 5-meter-high gourd-shaped top. Its nearly 20 meters higher than the former. The ground floor of the old tower is 15 meters wide, while that of the new tower is 30 meters wide. Hence, the Yellow Crane Tower isn't repaired, but rather reconstructed. It keeps some characteristics of the old tower. However, it's designed according to the present needs and peoples change in aesthetic standard.

When the bridge approach of the Changjiang River Bridge of Wuchang was built in 1957, it occupied the site of the Yellow Grane Tower. Nowadays, the rebuilt Yellow Crane Tower is located at the top of Snake Hill, about 1 kilometer away from the site. There are five storeys in total. It's 50.4 meters high. It has a spire. The eaves of each storey are upturned. Around the main tower, there are many others buildings, such as, the Shengxiang Pagoda, the Stele Gallery, the temple gate, etc. The whole building has a unique national style. The styles of each storey in the Yellow Crane Tower are different. The ground floor is a tall and wide hall. The midmost Zaojing stands over 10 meters high. On the front wall is a huge ceramic mural painting of " White Cloud and Yellow Crane ". A pair of 7-meter-long inscribed tablets is hung on the posts on both sides. On the front wall of the second floor, "Note of the Yellow Crane Tower" written by Yan Bojin of the Tang dynasty is engraved with marbles. It records the rise and fall of the Yellow Crane Tower as well as some anecdotes about great men. At the two side of it are two mural paintings. One is "Sun Quan Built Town". It describes the history of the successive birth of the Yellow Crane Tower and Wuchang Town vividly. The other is "Zhou Yu Made a Feast". It reflects the activity that the famous persons of the Three Kingdoms come to the Yellow Crane Tower.

 



Reservation: reservation.ta@jebsenholidays.com
Telephone: (852) 3180 6770    Fax: (852) 2366 2690
Copyright © 2014 Tourasia Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.
29th Floor, Island Place Tower, 510 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong
Travel Licence No. 353984